Friday, October 2, 2009

Denholms windows completed!






































This week I had the pleasure to work on the windows at the Denholm building, and finished my retrospective of the Denholm and McKay department store. I cannot even begin to thank all of the people who helped and encouraged me with this dream of mine. I want to thank Pat and Diane who allowed me access to their Denholms archive. I also want to thank Mellisa,Matt, Doug, and Ernie and everyone at the Denholm building for their kindness and hard work.
You all are amazing!!!

This building is really a gem, and I look forward to working on more windows with the Denholm team.

A big thanks to all.

5 comments:

  1. I love Denholm's!!!, I just wanted you to know that your not the only fan of this great department store. With all the changes happening in Worcester, I bet someone will have the idea of reopening the Denholm's Department Store. That would be a dream come true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not grow up in Worcester, but occasionally I work there. Last week I was thrilled to see the beautiful renovation of the Denholm windows.

    So I thought you would enjoy this poem I wrote after I walked into Deholms one day looking for the post office.

    **********
    Ghosts

    The city block was a moronic assembly,
    plate glass windows inhabited by
    post office, recruitment, antiques, coffee shop.

    Stepping inside revealed gilt, parquet,
    and a staircase up to Wonder
    where the patrons bought their dreams,
    promenaded their sweethearts,
    marked their prosperity.

    Startled by the ghosts,
    derelicts flee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! That is so great. I am going to save this.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly a wonderful site and a wonderful tribute. I work with Jan Whitaker on departmentstorehistory.net and I am truly happy that she posted your link. Wouldn't it be great to get this in a book form? I just wrote one on Baltimore's Hutzler's and the response is unbelievable. Worcester was Denholm's but its owners, at the end, couldn't handle it. I hope to read the story of Denholm's one day.
    Congratulations!

    Michael Lisicky

    ReplyDelete